Friday, March 19, 2010

Working on years of undoing

I have been reading some pretty amazing blogs lately. Along with all the inspiring stories, beautiful photos, and humor I also felt overwhelmed..what could I possibly have to offer?


Well, I was reminded today by my 4 year old that what matters most is not giving up. The story goes as follows..


Gigi got a new preschool work book for her birthday. I have been trying to guide her through it and for the most part she enjoys it. Today, she was tracing the letter B. Sounds simple enough; a line, then a half circle, and another half circle. I did the first couple and had her do the next and after a few tries she threw her crayon down and said she was giving up. 


I saw myself incarnate in this little sour faced child, with her arms crossed and a big tear slipping down her cheek. I wanted to tell her that the world was her for the choosing, that she could be whatever she desired and all it would take was to try, try, try..to never give up because it would all pay off. I loved her more then ever in that brief moment because I recognized her desire to succeed. Gigi wanted to write letters like mommy and pride got in the way of her continuing to try.


I guided her back to the letters. I held her hand and encouraged her to keep going. She did, they looked far from perfect but this mama could not have felt prouder if she won the Nobel Prize, she didn't give up..she taught ME a lesson.


I can not even count all the things I have tried and quickly walked away from because they were either hard or because there were people so much better at them...


 I have learned a valuable lesson today as a mom and women. All things worth knowing are worth learning no matter the cost. So here is to my Blog, a small step in undoing years of giving up.





2 comments: